Appalachian Electric Cooperative offers consumers an additional opportunity to help protect the environment—a program called Green Power Switch Generation Partners. GPS Generation Partners provides technical support and incentives for the installation of renewable generation systems. The program makes more green power available for GPS subscribers, and it creates a market for green power generation by homeowners and businesses. Program participants support the environment by helping our communities remain clean and green. They also benefit by defraying the costs of their renewable system installation and lowering their monthly energy bills through the revenue they receive from the sale of the green power.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
- A renewable generation system is installed by a residential, commercial, or industrial power member served by Appalachian Electric Cooperative. Eligible resources include solar, wind, low impact hydro, and biomass.
- TVA will purchase all of the green energy output at a rate of 12 cents per kilowatt-hour for solar and 3 cents per kilowatt-hour for other renewable generation as a premium payment above the retail rate and any fuel cost adjustments.
- All new Generation Partners participants will receive a $1,000 incentive to help offset start-up costs.
- Appalachian Electric Cooperative will provide monthly statements showing the energy used and any credit due. Power bills will be reconciled annually. Energy consumed at the home or business, whether it is generated at the site or delivered over the local power distribution system, is billed at the standard rate.
- The member is guaranteed payments for 10 years from the start of the agreement.
- Interested members should contact Appalachian Electric Cooperative to apply for participation in the program prior to purchasing a renewable generation systems.
Members who are interested in pursuing this opportunity are encouraged to contact the Member Services Department to obtain more information, discuss options and receive a participation agreement. You may reach our representative at extension 1175.